To me, ‘AdventureSport’ is when you’re out there underneath a mountain, riding fast. We’re not talking about gravel. The word ‘gravel’ sounds dull to me. AdventureSport is about doing it fast. That’s what our original Mason bikes do well, and that’s what we’re continuing here with BOKEH.
The Bokeh bikes and framesets are AdventureSport machines for fast ‘Continent Crushing’ rides and they can use either 650b x 50mm or 700c x 41mm tyres.
All our bike designs require a spark, something that starts the fire smouldering and gets us enthused and caught up, the Bokeh bikes were no different. We started to see the Definitions and Resolutions being used in ways that we hadn’t envisioned when they were designed, more and more riders were fitting lightweight packs in the frame and on the bars and behind the seat and heading off on huge adventures. The comfortable, fast, long-distance nature of the bikes really worked for this type of riding and larger volume tyres and disc brakes gave comfort, confidence and predictable handling and braking in all conditions…our mantra ‘FastFar’ was born.
Josh Ibbetts incredible Transcontinental 2015 win, riding a virtually standard Mason Definition really inspired me and helped strengthen my resolve to design a bike that was a ‘continent crusher’, capable of being ridden fast on many surfaces and varied terrain, for a long way in as much comfort as possible. It’s a response to this move in cycling towards venturing off road and using bigger tyres, disc brakes and lightweight packs and having adventures, but not necessarily on bikes with masses of luggage.
We have again collaborated with our friends at Hunt Bike Wheels to develop a Mason x Hunt ‘AdventureSport’ 650b wheelset for the Bokeh bikes. The development of 1x drivetrains and lightweight, performance multi-terrain 650b tyres and fast, large volume multi-terrain tyres for 700c has really helped fuel bike development.
We have started from the ground up with the Bokeh geometry the clearance is increased to take up to 650b x 50mm or 700c x 41mm, I think anything larger is MTB territory. The wheelbase is longer and angles a little slacker, with the fork using a 50mm offset to keep the trail dimension under control
The stack height is very similar to the Definition and Resolution, we didn’t want overly long head tubes because these are fast bikes and they need to accelerate and climb well. Sizes are 50, 52, 54, 56, 58 and 60cm, see individual bike pages for full geometry.
The carbon monocoque 'Parallax' fork has been developed in conjunction with our Italian frame builders, it uses a Ø12mm thru-axle, flat-mount and internally routed hose and weighs just 465g. As with the frames, there is a full compliment of discreetly sited fender eyelets and an extra one at the front for a Dynamo light.
The Bokeh bikes are designed for 650b x 50mm tires or 700C x 41mm, so we've tailored the complete bike groupsets to best suit each wheelsize. We're speccing 650b builds with Panaracer Comet Hardpack 650b x 2.0 tyres and SRAM Rival/Force 1X groupsets with 10/42T : 42T ratios to give enough range for steep climbs and fast descents. The 700C builds use Gravelking SK 35c tyres mounted to HUNT Four Season Gravel Disc wheels, finished with the reliable Shimano 105/Hydro & Ultegra/Hydro compact/11:32 groupsets.
Our Component Choice:
- SRAM 1X / Shimano 2X Drivetrains and braking: We’ve specced SRAM/Shimano where we best see fit, so you have the option of simplicity & security offered by 1X drivetrains, or the efficiency and subtleness from a trusted 2X set-up. Capable in any condition, on or off-road the speed is controlled by modern groupset-matched flat-mount disc brakes.
- Deda stem, bars and headset: We're sticking with the Italian theme and using Deda Elementi handlebars and stems. New for the Bokeh models is the SuperZero range for the Force/Ultegra builds. The triangulated stem improves the steering system stiffness and looks great. The matching alloy handlebar features a mid-bar aero section that doubles up as an ideal hand rest for rough terrain and is a really secure anchor for bar-mounted luggage.
- Ltd. Edition Fabric saddle and tape: Continuing with UK designed, understated, high-tech functionality of the Fabric components that starred on our Resolution and Definition models we’ve now specced Fabric's ‘Hex’ tape for increased grip in dirty conditions and an exclusive colour-matched saddle specific to our ‘ElementGrey’and ‘FlareOrange’ colours.
- Hunt 650B Wheels: We have again collaborated with our friends at Hunt Bke Wheels to develop a Mason x Hunt ‘AdventureSport’ 650b wheelset for the Bokeh bikes.
- Panaracer Tyres: Panaracer Comet Hardpack 650b x 2.0 or Gravelking SK 700C x 35c
- Mason Clamp and Post: Lightweight, simplicity, durability and style were required here, so we specified our own.